Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Piecing out imperfections.

Ok, I have a problem with the assertion that television and movies weaken the imagination.
But before we get started and blindly attack this statement because we don't agree,
let us first confront the reasoning behind the argument.

Here is what a lot of people will tell you.
"when you read a book, you have to fill out any imperfections and lacking descriptions with your mind, whereas in a movie or tv show, everything is shown to us." 

Alright then,  although i agree with there first statement that when reading a book there is a lot of stuff that your imagination has to fill in therefore your imagination is largely active while reading books, and while this is very true, they go on to say that this does not happen when watching a movie or tv show.

Now this is where i disagree with them.  Have you ever, after watching a movie said, "I think it would have been better if..."  Now at that moment your imagination is hard at work creating a completely original scene that would have made the movie so much better.

 This also happens when movies use a technique known as a montage which is used to make a number of years pass by within minutes, only giving you the necessary information of what happened during those years so that it can move the story along smoothly to the next major development.  An example of this can be seen in the movie "Batman Begins"  when Bruce Wayne is being trained by Rahs Al Ghoul.   we only see about 10-15 minutes of his training, but our imagination fills in the gaps so that it doesn't seem at all strange when Bruce is suddenly skilled enough to defeat both his mentor in his final test, as well as several hundred other warriors afterwards.

So in conclusion, I think that books are extremely enthralling and entertaining and there are certainly certain scenes in books that could never work in a movie.  But I also believe that the same thing can be said of movies.

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are some good points, but I would have liked to hear what you think Shakespeare would have thought on the mater

    ReplyDelete
  4. You did a good job suporting your view. You just need to add what you think Shakespeare's view is.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the title as well as the intro and great idea to use "Batman Begins" as an example. I would have made the second paregragh my own insted of useing the books words but it worked fine for you so don't worry about it.

    ReplyDelete