Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Lesson 4 Thought Question 6 and Mirror of All Christian Kings?

After the battle of Agincourt, in a conference with the king of France, queen Isabella, the duke of burgundy and princess Katherine,  King Henry Says that the only way for France to recover its former peace is "...with full accord to all our just demands..."  but behind these words and other ones there lies a threat of further attacks on France and the imminent destruction of it.

For example, when Henry says to Katherine, "no, it is not possible that you should love the enemy of France, But in loving me you would love the friend of France, for i love France so much that i will not part with a single village of it. I will have it all mine..."  there is an underlying threat to that statement as if to threaten that if Henry cannot own France by marrying Katherine, he will not hesitate to revert to more brutal and military ways of obtaining France. 

These exchanges are some of the instances in which Henry's title of "the mirror of all Christian Kings" is called into question,  and if we look back at the play,  Starting a war simply to maintain the churches political power,  having defeated prisoners of the battlefield slaughtered, and basically bullying the King of France and Princess Katherine into letting him marry Katherine with the base goal of obtaining France, not true love, hardly seem the actions of a mirror as in role model for all Christian kings, but rather a mirror as in the opposite of a Christian king!

7 comments:

  1. very easy to read, I like your use of quotes

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the way you used quotes and specific details from the play to support your opinion. Sometimes, you might be able to make your point stronger and clearer if you use 'bits' of quotes instead of long quotes. You're off to a good start because you did that when you talked about the 'full accord' in paragraph 1. Try that more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I could'nt agree more! No mistakes that I noticed. A great job at showing how selfish Henry realy is!

    ReplyDelete
  4. When can't find anything wrong with someone's writing, I usually say to put a joke in it next time. in other words, good job.

    Ben.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The last paragraph summed everything up very nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your analysis of the quotes was very well done, it helped me better understand that exchange. The biggest problem I have with this post is the lack of capitalization in some of your 'I's. However, this is merely a pet peeve of mine, and so the issue is negligible. Over all, good job!

    Nate Sexton

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good job Taylor. I pretty much agree with everyone else who replied. Shorter quotes, The "i/I" issue, but the last paragraph summed everything nicely. *Funny british accent* Again I say, good job! *end accent*

    ReplyDelete