Wednesday, November 14, 2012

week 12 paper question 1

Alright so the question i have been given is perhaps the easiest question one can be asked about Hamlet.  I have been asked to write about wether or not the play promotes revenge.
Okay, before i end my paper with a simple no, lets look at the events of the play.
First Hamlet decides to take revenge on Claudius for killing his father, Hamlet dies.
Second Laerties takes revenge on Hamlet, Laerties dies.
Third and perhaps less obvious, Rosencrance and Gildenstern agree to kill Hamlet because of the way he has treated them so in a way they are trying to get revenge, they both die.
So after looking at the events of the play and taking in all evidence (and studying verbal irony) I shall conclude by giving a simple answer. 
Does this play promote revenge?  Absolutely!

3 comments:

  1. But maybe it doesn't promote revenge because everyone that took revenge died.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. August, that last statement was verbal irony i.e. sarcasm.

      Delete
  2. (I had to look up the word epicosity. It wasn't in the first online dictionary, but google told me it was a measure of epic-ness. I will definitely be adding this word to my vocabulary!!!!!)

    Taylor, in reply to your entry, I think it has a good measure of epicosity! It was very readable and made me laugh at the end. I am as good at understanding why you think the play promoted revenge, was it irony?

    Mrs. Sexton

    ReplyDelete